[pulseaudio-discuss] Screen casting with PulseAudio

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Tue Oct 18 06:50:11 PDT 2011

Dnia 2011-10-18, wto o godzinie 14:22 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont pisze:
> So where in pavucontrol do I select the VIDEO source? Duh?
As stated in my previous email - there isn't a video mixer. Yet.

> > Even Skype does that now.
> > The drop-downs in Skype's sound preferences only contain "Pulseaudio"
> > here.
>
> Skype is a voice call and videoconferencing tool. Using the default
> PulseAudio source makes perfect sense there. First time, it will get the
> default microphone. Next time, it will get the source that it had the
> previous time if available. All is good for Skype.
Nope, it doesn't work like that. Every time it will get the source that
is most suitable for a VoIP app. Be it the only microphone, a USB
headset, BT headset or whatever makes most sense. Not until you manually
set a different source will PA restore the selected source for Skype.
Or, actually, for all VoIP apps, in that case.

> If the user selects desktop recording, this does not work.
So the consensus seems to be that the best solution would be a new
'screencasting' media role, as both me and David pointed out in other
posts. That should, IMO, as David wrote, include default microphone,
too. You could mute it, of course, but I don't think a separate
'screencasting+mic' role would make sense. Turn that into a feature
request on PA trac, please, would you?

Cheers,
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>