[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse and audio settings

Robert Orzanna orschiro at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:05:09 PDT 2011

>Why would you want to adjust these settings outside of pulseaudio and
>in what way do the sliders in pavucontrol not suffice?

I don't see any way how to adjust PCM which by default is set to 100
by pulseaudio. Hence, I must use alsamixer to reduce the distortions
caused by the high PCM.

>Then your distro is broken.

Following Maartens response it is not, and overwriting alsa settings is a
normal behaviour of pulse.

>The alsa-utils packages ensures that alsa mixer values are saved on

>shutdown and restored at boot up. It's saved in asound.state which is
>kept in /var (nowadays).

>The latest alsa-utils even ships with systemd units to do this for you.
>Prior to standardisation with systemd, various different distros handled
>this differently so you'll have to ask your distro people about it.

>Ultimately tho', if you fire up an alsa mixer and make some changes, and
>run: "sudo alsactl store", it should wirte the file
>/var/lib/alsa/asound.state. Similarly "sudo alsactl restore" should read
>that state file and apply it.

Of course I can run alsactl restore after pulseaudio had completely
started. But this is only a workaround since it is obviously not
indented to overwrite pulse settings.

Regards