[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio output on Bluetooth headset is choppy - PulseAudio at fault?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 9 06:54:26 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Alexander Skwar at 09/09/11 14:42 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello.
>
> Am 09.09.2011 15:35, schrieb Colin Guthrie:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Alexander Skwar at 09/09/11 11:18 did gyre and gimble:
>
>>>    paplay -d bluez_sink.00_1A_7D_60_67_1F \
>>>      /usr/share/sounds/linphone/rings/oldphone.wav
>>>
>>> So it's (maybe?) not really Amaroks fault which causes these problems.
>>> It's also not related to oldphone.wav - I've double checked this *G*
>>
>> hehe, I would potentially blame the Phonon backend (which you don't
>
> Well, I said KDE 4.6, so I kinda said Phonon, I guess :

No I don't mean "Phonon" I meant the "Phonon backend", this is
interchangeable so you can't just assume which one a user is using.

>>> ask at ewzw032:/tmp>  id
>>> uid=1000(ask) gid=100(users)
>>> Gruppen=100(users),3(sys),7(lp),10(wheel),17(audio),33(video),40(games),115(vboxusers)
>>>

>> It's off topic here (these don't really matter for bluetooth), but why
>> is your user in the lp, audio and video groups? None of this is
>> necessary on a vaguely modern system. I don't know what sys or games
>> groups relate to but I can't think what they would acheive.
>
> 'coz I've always done it like this ;) That's why.

Well, things have moved on from those days where this kind of fudge was
needed, so you should likely update :)

>> Back on topic, the issue can often be down to a broken bluetooth
>> receiver - they are a bit funny overall.
>
> It's new equipment - which of course does not mean, that it's not
> broken ;)

Yeah I meant "broken" in the sense of it being generally non-conformant
to the spec with various ugly kludges and workarounds needed in the
driver to get it working etc. So more "design flawed" h/w rather than
individual bits of h/w that are broken.

> Forgot to mention - I would NOT assume the headset to be broken. When
> I pair it with my Nexus S Andrid mobile phone or with my OS X notebook
> at home, playback is just fine.

That's a good sign, but it doesn't rule out the BT dongle/chip in your
current machine being broken in some capacity - this is really what I
was referring to as it's the most common cause of these kind of problems
in my experience. If you have another dongle you can use for testing
(e.g. a USB one) it can help narrow down where the problem lies.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]