[pulseaudio-discuss] Can module-echo-cancel reduce the background noise?

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 00:30:41 PDT 2011

2011/9/15 Lin, Mengdong <mengdong.lin at intel.com>:
> I wonder whether module-echo-cancel can support the following features,
> besides echo reduction during a call:
>

> (1)     Reduce the echo of myself during audio recording in a room

I'm not sure about what you mean here precisely. But in general this
isn't called echo, but feedback. The only difference between the two
is that with echo you have a large (~ > 20ms) delay and you can here
two distinct versions of the sound. With feedback the delay is in the
order of a typical wavelength (~ < 5ms) and you can hear a (often
high-pitched) ringing sound.

The obvious solution would be not playing back the recorded audio over
the speakers. Is there any particular reason you want to hear
yourself?
And if the recording is for musical purposes, I'd strongly advise to
get a decent microphone. I mean, when a band is performing on stage
they can hear themselves over the monitor quite loud, but there's no
feedback and no echo-cancelling is used. (wel actually there are
devices called feedback-killers, but those are more automatic
equalizers and are generally not used for music event, but rather for
speech)

Maarten