[pulseaudio-discuss] Can module-echo-cancel reduce the background noise?

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 18:23:42 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 15:39 +0800, Lin, Mengdong wrote:
[...]
> So my last question is whether module-echo-cancel can reduce the background noise during recording? If yes, what colors of noise can it reduce?

We currently have speex noise suppression enabled by default. You can
find some references to the algorithms used at:

http://git.xiph.org/?p=speex.git;a=blob;f=libspeex/preprocess.c

I've seen it reduce background and fan noise, but I've not got the
skillz to understand with the actual method/algorithm myself.

-- Arun