[pulseaudio-discuss] Yet another attempt to fight rewinds

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Sep 19 08:49:03 PDT 2011

A few Atom users have complained about enternal rewinds since they
upgraded to 0.99.x, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/825709

So here's just an idea. As a "last resort", ratelimit the number of
rewinds. If there are more than 10 rewinds in 200 ms, go to sleep for
200 ms. The idea is that during those 200 ms, the client application
will produce enough packets to fill up the buffer enough. Those packets
will then be merged into one, due to an earlier rewind patch that is
already in. The 200 ms sleep might cause a noticable glitch, but
hopefully we get that one glitch only instead of complete brokenness.

But I don't have any such setup here currently, so maybe any of you
could check this patch and see if it works as intended, and has real effect?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic