[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems getting sinks/sources viewed in pactl/pacmd.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 21 01:48:06 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anders Gnistrup at 21/09/11 08:38 did gyre and gimble:
> This is my best gees why is does not work.
>
> # pactl load-module module-udev-detect
> socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
> Failure: Module initalization failed

Yeah I think you're correct on this one. If udev-detect module doesn't
load, then you're pretty much done for in terms of hot and cold plug
device detection.

That said, the lack of a session dbus is possibly what is breaking here.
And it's probably due to the device reservation protocol we use for
ensuring graceful handover to other apps (e.g. JACK) that want exclusive
access to the audio hardware.

You could hack that bit of code out of the PA build if you don't need
it. If you make a clean patch to e.g. enable/disable this feature via an
option in daemon.conf, I'll include it upstream.

> To me it seems that it fails to open a connection to the dbus-udev.
> Is this correct? And how to I solve this problem. (starting a X-session is NOT an option)

You should be able to start a session bus pretty easily using e.g.
dbus-launch without running an X11 session. I kinda thought that
happened automatically, but I'm not super familiar with all the dbus
initialisation logic.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]