[pulseaudio-discuss] Google ChromeOS reinventing the wheel, ignoring PulseAudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at digia.com
Tue Sep 27 08:16:34 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 18:02 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le mardi 27 septembre 2011 17:27:14 Arun Raghavan, vous avez écrit :
> > Do you have any more details? Seems to be more of a policy daemon than
> > an audio server.
>
> Isn't audio policy daemon just a fancier name for (modern) audio server?
> Does PulseAudio not implement audio policy?
>
> Sure, PulseAudio certainly does not police video devices. That's partly done
> by the X server (XVideo grabs), partly by the window manager, but mostly not
> done at all.
>
> But still...

Looking at what there is currently, there doesn't seem to be any trace
of a client interface. That would suggest that it won't handle the
actual audio stream data. Of course, the project is in a *very* early
stage, so the client interface bits might get added later.

In order to replace speculation with actual facts, I'll CC Taylor Hutt,
who seems to be doing the development. Taylor, would you possibly have
time to share some information about ADHD? For convenience, here's a
link to the beginning of this thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-September/011452.html