[pulseaudio-discuss] pa_once can run twice?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Apr 25 05:00:28 PDT 2012

On 04/25/2012 01:09 PM, Dalleau, Frederic wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com>  wrote:
>> On 04/23/2012 05:03 PM, Dalleau, Frederic wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,

>>> After reading your mail, I made some experiments by adding a usleep() call
>>> in Thread 1 between pa_atomic_load(&control->done) and
>>> pa_atomic_inc(&control->ref)
>>> and that failed once-test 100% of time.
>>>
>>> I reverted the usleep and made another experiment using 50000 iterations
>>> in
>>> once-test and it just failed.
>>>
>>> Good catch !
>>

>> I tried to look up implementation/algorithm suggestions, and for the ones I
>> found [1], there was no freeing of the mutex. Without freeing, the code
>> becomes simpler. The attached patch is a version of that. I've just tried a
>> simple once-test (but do feel free to run it 50000 times :-) ).
>>
>> But of course, now we leak a mutex. But that's what we already do with the
>> static mutexes we use in a few places already, so maybe it doesn't matter
>> much?
>
> Your patch has passed the 50000 iteration test, but I'm reluctant in the idea of
> leaking memory since solutions exists.
>
> I have attached a version which uses reference counting to free the
> mutex. I can't find
> any significant difference in cpu usage, but it must be double checked
> for correctness.

Right, so it's a trade-off between keeping a mutex allocated for my
version, and three extra atomic ops for your version. Maybe it doesn't
matter much and we're essentially bikeshedding?

> libatomic_ops documentation suggest the following :
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/atomic_ops/example.php4
> With a static mutex, it uses a few extra bytes (pthread_mutex_t is 24
> bytes on my box), but it may also offer the best performances of all:
> no allocation
> and no busy loop waiting for mutex creation. I'm giving it a try but
> it needs a bit
> of plumbing.

That looks slightly more elegant than our solutions IMO. Perhaps we can
use pa_static_mutex_get function for the static mutex?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic