[pulseaudio-discuss] How to decrease cpu usage?

Peter Meerwald pmeerw at pmeerw.net
Mon Aug 13 10:40:28 PDT 2012

Hello,

> At this point, on system wide running, pulseaudio uses 34% cpu when it
> idles, when music is played, it uses 42%. It's a lot on the 700 mhz
> raspberry pi cpu, I'm pretty sure there is a way to decrease it, but
> documentation don't talk about this point.

that sounds way too high...
unfortunately, the Broadcom CPU does not support ARM NEON

I found that the ARM assembler code does not improve performance on a
Cortex-A8, maybe it also helps to disable on the Raspberry?

> I don't use the raspberry internal sound card, I plugged a little usb
> Terratec aureon sound card, it works very well excepted the cpu usage...

would be interesting to find out where the CPU time is spent; in
PulseAudio or somethere in the USB stack...

do you have a chance to do some profiling? maybe you can get oprofile to
work?

regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald