[pulseaudio-discuss] ARM NEON patches

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Feb 10 04:15:51 PST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:29:23 +0530, Arun Raghavan
<arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> The lack of a configuration option is fine. And as I understand it, the
> convention in the ARM world is you compile for a given target and run
> only on a machine that is a superset of that target. So, unlike with
> MMX/SSE, not having a run-time tests is okay.

That's not necessarily true. You can check for NEON at run-time in
/proc/cpuinfo, and e.g. libvpx does exactly that. A certain ARM-based Linux
kernel-based smartphone operating system has the same ABI for both
NEON-capable and NEON-lacking chipsets. I guess Ubuntu is trying to do that
too.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/