[pulseaudio-discuss] ARM NEON patches

Peter Meerwald pmeerw at pmeerw.net
Fri Feb 10 04:59:47 PST 2012

> <arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> > The lack of a configuration option is fine. And as I understand it, the
> > convention in the ARM world is you compile for a given target and run
> > only on a machine that is a superset of that target. So, unlike with
> > MMX/SSE, not having a run-time tests is okay.

> That's not necessarily true. You can check for NEON at run-time in
> /proc/cpuinfo, and e.g. libvpx does exactly that. A certain ARM-based Linux
> kernel-based smartphone operating system has the same ABI for both
> NEON-capable and NEON-lacking chipsets. I guess Ubuntu is trying to do that
> too.

there is no configure option to disable compilation of the NEON code, it
is however guarded by appropriate #ifdefs

at runtime the proposed patches already parse /proc/cpuinfo (on Linux at
least) to figure out if the CPU has the NEON feature

the environment variable PULSE_NO_SIMD can be used to disable available
optimizations

I conclude that no action is required w.r.t. configuration

regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald
+43-664-2444418 (mobile)