[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio/alsa_plugins bugs without Wine

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Feb 14 02:41:39 PST 2012

On 02/12/2012 04:07 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 15:23 +0100, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
>> What I want to see happen is for the PA + alsa_plugin combination to
>> deliver its promise of seamless integration with ALSA, i.e. be able to
>> use standard ALSA calls.  IMHO it is not acceptable should PA ask
>> every app to write a backend using its own API.
>>
>> The avail>buffer_size appears to be a bug in the alsa_plugins, given
>> that it persists after disconnecting from PA. The "need to restart
>> PA to recover any sound" bug that people report can only be a bug
>> in the PA server.
>>
>> I'm sorry I've not written a C equivalent of my trivial CLISP FFI code,
>> nor do I have any machine with the latest PA -- the most recent one is
>> running Ubuntu Lucid.
>>
>> Do you believe posting the Common Lisp code to the PA bugtracker would help?
>
> Yes, if you have some simple test programs available that can be used to
> reproduce some bug in the alsa plugin, that would likely be helpful if
> someone finds the time to work on this (I can't promise anything,
> unfortunately, but it certainly sounds quite bad if Pulseaudio doesn't
> handle the "safe subset" of the alsa interface well).

For the record, I received some test code from Joerg a few weeks ago,
and tested it on Ubuntu 12.04 (based on PulseAudio 1.1 + my jack
detection), and I was unable to find something as serious as the
buffer_size and avail values going havoc.

IIRC, Joerg uses an older version of PulseAudio.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic