[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: default-fragments = 8 in default install

Kelly Anderson kelly at silka.with-linux.com
Mon Jan 16 14:07:40 PST 2012

On 01/16/2012 01:59 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:22 -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just wondering if there is any reason why PulseAudio couldn't be
>> changed to use default-fragments = 8 as the default.
>>
>> The reason why I ask is that Wine/alsa is a total mess with
>> default-fragments = 4.  I've changed three different machines to
>> default-fragments = 8 and wine 1.3.37/alsa works just fine.  It seems to
>> me that if changing this setting doesn't break anything
>> significant, that it should probably become the default setting.
> It will double the latency from 100ms to 200ms. If you compensate that
> by lowering default-fragment-size-msec, does it still work better?
>
> Anyway, these options only matter when not using the timer-based
> scheduling. Why are all your machines (or at least three of them)
> running with the old interrupt-based scheduling mode?

Hmmm, now I wonder if I was using an previous version of Wine, because
now all three of my systems work OK with the default settings.  I
actually only experienced the problem on my notebook and then assumed
the settings change was necessary on my other two machines.

On my notebook I've been getting these messages in my log. Not sure but
maybe the high res timer delta goes too high for Pulse to work
properly.  I should probably do a little research and see If there's
anything I can do to keep the min_delta_ns from creeping up.

CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 20113 nsec
CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 30169 nsec
CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 45253 nsec
CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 67879 nsec
CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 101818 nsec