[pulseaudio-discuss] multiseat pulseaudio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 18 16:25:27 PST 2012

On Wed, 18.01.12 21:27, duportail (poort at telenet.be) wrote:

> I have a multiseat system with multiple users and multiple soundcards.
> PA per user started.
> How can I prevent that when a users' soundcard is missing or
> unplugged, the pulseaudio takes another sink/audiocard(of an other
> user).

You should simply ensure that only the user actvie on the specific seat
gets access to the audio device of that seat.

Note that systemd systems are multi-seat aware, a feature which has been
added to our stack all the way from X11 to gdm and related componetns
and we'll make official with Fedora 17. In such a setup multi-seat will
work without any manual configuration in cases where identifiable
multi-seat hw is used (i.e. such as the Plugable USB terminals), and
with very little configuration otherwise. Multi-seat audio with PA will
then just work.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.