[pulseaudio-discuss] What's the relation ship between mapping prio and sink prio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jan 28 05:48:01 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 10:01 +0800, Feng Wei wrote:
> Hi Colin,
> Sorry for not making the question clearly.
> In alsa module, we parsed out alsa mapping information from
> profile-sets and mixer paths, and create sink from mapping, so I
> thought there should be same for mapping priority and sink priority,
> while port priority comes from mixer path/setting priority. I found
> port priority assignment in source code, but alsa mapping priority is
> never used, sink priority is only dependent on PA_PROP_DEVICE_CLASS,
> PA_PROP_DEVICE_FORM_FACTOR, PA_PROP_DEVICE_BUS,
> PA_PROP_DEVICE_PROFILE_NAME.
> So if I can't specify the default sink by profile-sets config files.

I didn't even know that sinks have priorities... But it appears that
yes, they do, and it's used when the default sink needs to figure out in
a situation where there's no sink currently set as default (and only at
that situation!).

Using the mapping priority as the sink priority doesn't sound like a
good idea, because the same mapping configuration can be used with
multiple cards - it doesn't make much sense to set the priority to the
same value for among all stereo sinks and among all 5.1 sinks etc. What
is the actual problem you're trying to solve here? Using the sink
priorities probably isn't the right solution, whatever the problem is.