[pulseaudio-discuss] What's the relation ship between mapping prio and sink prio

Feng Wei feng.wei at linaro.org
Wed Jan 4 18:01:37 PST 2012

Hi Colin,
Sorry for not making the question clearly.
In alsa module, we parsed out alsa mapping information from
profile-sets and mixer paths, and create sink from mapping, so I
thought there should be same for mapping priority and sink priority,
while port priority comes from mixer path/setting priority. I found
port priority assignment in source code, but alsa mapping priority is
never used, sink priority is only dependent on PA_PROP_DEVICE_CLASS,
PA_PROP_DEVICE_FORM_FACTOR, PA_PROP_DEVICE_BUS,
PA_PROP_DEVICE_PROFILE_NAME.
So if I can't specify the default sink by profile-sets config files.

2012/1/4 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Feng Wei at 04/01/12 10:08 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi,
>> In alsa module, I can't find a place to use alsa mapping priority.
>> Should it represent sink priority so that we can statically appoint
>> default sink when multiple cards/sinks exist?
>
> I think you're basically asking about "port" priorities and "sink"
> priorities here?
>
> If so there is no relationship between the two. The priorities here are
> used to determine what is selected as default/initial values when no
> configuration files exist. That is we will attempt to use the most
> obvious settings when the user logs in for the first time.
>
> i.e. we'll use the built-in sound card and not the HDMI on a laptop
> (using sink priorities) and we'll use Speaker output and not Headphone
> (using port priorities).
>
> If this isn't what you're talking about, then apologies :D
>
> All the best
>
> Col
>

> --
>
> Colin Guthrie
> gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie
> http://colin.guthr.ie/
>
> Day Job:
>  Tribalogic Limited http://www.tribalogic.net/
> Open Source:
>  Mageia Contributor http://www.mageia.org/
>  PulseAudio Hacker http://www.pulseaudio.org/
>  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/

Wei.Feng (irc wei_feng)
Linaro Multimedia Team
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog