[pulseaudio-discuss] SDP LF vs. CRLF

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Jul 21 01:48:14 PDT 2012

	Hello,

Le jeudi 19 juillet 2012 01:41:52 Christian K., vous avez écrit :
> I'm currently trying to connect PulseAudio with VLC using RTP. The SDP
> sent by VLC is not parsed by PulseAudio, the error is "invalid
> header".
>
> I discovered that PulseAudio seems to expect that the SDP descriptor
> contains just LF i.e. \n line breaks whereas VLC is sending CRLF line
> breaks as it is also specifiied in the RFC [1].

To be precise, the RFC requires writing CRLF and reading both CRLF and LF. Jon
Postel principle applies. Clearly, there is a PulseAudio bug.

Note though that:
- PulseAudio also fails to use the standard SAP multicast group addresses, so
it will not interoperate with VLC out of the box.
- In the VLC->PulseAudio direction, VLC must be configured to transcode to
's16b', as PulseAudio is not able to decode non-linear audio commonly found in
RTP.

Regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont