[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] Using UCM with PulseAudio

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 20:38:40 PDT 2012

[not sure if this is still interesting to alsa-devel, but keeping the CC
anyway]

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 15:11 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> [...]
> streams are created? The cellular adaptation module should tell the
> routing system that "a call is starting, it would be nice to open the
> call audio path now". I was hoping that the virtual stream solution
> would avoid adding any further complexity to the routing system, but it
> seems that the routing system must anyway be aware of the special
> in-hardware audio paths so that other modules can request them to be
> activated.
>
> So, maybe it's not worth the effort to create virtual streams, since
> they don't actually help with the routing.
>
> After spending a while thinking about this, my proposal is that the
> routing logic should play with more abstract inputs and outputs than
> streams and ports. All streams and ports, and the cellular modem that is
> not directly accessible by Pulseaudio, would be just inputs and outputs
> from the routing system point of view.
>
> For example, when a music player creates a new playback stream, the
> server-side stream implementation would create a new input and register
> it in the routing system. After that, the stream implementation would
> submit a "routing request" to the routing system: "connect input id:4 to
> somewhere". The application didn't specify where the stream should be
> routed, so based on the routing request properties (like media role),
> the routing system would select the best output that is available.
>
> Routing requests would exist as long as they are needed. In case of
> normal streams, that would be as long as the stream exists. If it
> becomes impossible to fulfill the request at some point, the stream gets
> removed.
>
> Routing requests would have a priority - in the music player's case, the
> priority would probably be derived from the stream media role. Phone
> stream routing requests would have a higher priority.
>
> Another example: there's a cellular call on an OMAP4 platform. The
> cellular adaptation module notices that, and creates two routing
> requests: "connect input type:cellular_modem to somewhere" and "connect
> output type:cellular_modem to somewhere". The alsa card would have
> created, based on the UCM data, an input and an output with label
> "type:cellular_modem". Those would have very limited routing options:
> for example, the cellular modem input might be routable only to the
> earpiece or the main speaker. module-alsa-card would inform the routing
> system about the limitations, and the routing system would pick the best
> alternative from the two available choices.
>
> On some other platform where the cellular modem audio interface is
> directly accessible, "type:cellular_modem" would point to an input or
> output that is implemented by a normal port. I don't know if UCM
> provides the information about whether the VoiceCall PCMs implement a
> real audio interface or are they just a hack to enable the in-hardware
> audio path. If that information is not available, I'd say that it's then

This likely means we need to add a mechanism to UCM to signal that a PCM
is a virtual/fake PCM. This would be needed for whatever solution I
devise to solve the problem immediately as well.

> After the routing system has decided what input will be routed to what
> output, it will have to somehow make the connection happen. The problem
> is that only the alsa module knows how to connect the cellular modem to
> the earpiece. Maybe the input and output structs could have a type that
> said whether the input or output is a stream, a port, or something
> custom. If it's something custom, the struct would have a function
> pointer for doing the connection, otherwise normal stream connection
> code can be used.

The system you describe sounds generic enough to catch most things we'd
want to do, but I think it makes sense to enumerate the kinds of uses
that we are not able to elegantly handle right now. Here's what I have:

1. Virtual devices that represent paths that are not in the CPU domain
(like the phone PCMs above)

2. Devices that require a loopback to be useful, like an FM radio or
A2DP source

3. Devices that have a loopback path in hardware/DSP (this is a request
I've seen, but I'm not aware of hardware that does this)

I'm sure there's more stuff, so please do add to this list.

While (1) is probably easy to take care of cleanly with whatever we have
currently, having some routing awareness in the PA ALSA modules, and an
ability to express this to the routing logic seems to be necessary to
deal with (2) and (3).

-- Arun