[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple PulseAudio bugs affecting mplayer2 users

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jul 28 06:32:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 18:28 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> A lot of mplayer2 users with PulseAudio have experienced problems. I
> investigated some of those and confirmed that they are caused by
> PulseAudio. There are quite a few distinct PulseAudio bugs; some are
> analyzed below. Overall, however, I wonder why there are so many fairly
> obvious bugs in a widely used piece of software. Is there no
> maintenance? Or do people not test it? Some of the bugs are probably
> less obvious if you request low latency (though they're not specific to
> higher-latency case); do people test the low-latency case only?

Answer to "is there no maintenance": there is, but the resources are
limited and people work on what they have motivation to work on. My
focus is on reviewing patches and answering to mails on the mailing
list, and this takes all time that I have available for PulseAudio work
on my free time. I'd like to work on the bugs too, but it's lower in
priority. So, if you want to get bugs fixed, the most reliable way to
achieve that is to submit patches. You seem to have spent quite a lot of
time studying the PulseAudio code already - would you be willing to
prepare proper patches for the bugs that you've found?

Answer to "do people test the low-latency case only": speaking for
myself, my audio needs are mostly covered by Totem and Iceweasel (flash
and html5), and I haven't had audio problems. I'm not sure what
latencies those request, so let's check... Totem wants 200 ms latency
and Iceweasel wants 500 ms (both flash and html5).