[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple PulseAudio bugs affecting mplayer2 users

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Jul 28 15:12:03 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 16:32 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> on my free time. I'd like to work on the bugs too, but it's lower in
> priority. So, if you want to get bugs fixed, the most reliable way to
> achieve that is to submit patches. You seem to have spent quite a lot of
> time studying the PulseAudio code already - would you be willing to
> prepare proper patches for the bugs that you've found?

Not that much time - I investigated bugs 2 and 4 one evening without
prior familiarity with PulseAudio code, then implemented the client-side
workaround for 2 and noticed and analyzed bug 3 another day. Fixing
things like bug 4 should be quicker for people who are already familiar
with the program and have a vision of how things architecturally
_should_ work (not just producing correct output in current case).
Anyway, I now wrote patches for bugs 3 and 4 plus one bug I had not
analyzed before (attached).

> Answer to "do people test the low-latency case only": speaking for
> myself, my audio needs are mostly covered by Totem and Iceweasel (flash
> and html5), and I haven't had audio problems. I'm not sure what
> latencies those request, so let's check... Totem wants 200 ms latency
> and Iceweasel wants 500 ms (both flash and html5).

I think 500 ms should be enough to very clearly notice the rewind bug
(number 4). Maybe it's a simple implementation that doesn't use cork for
accurate pause? BTW I think that's the same bug an mplayer2 user had
reported as PulseAudio bug #48943; the talk about Nautilus in that bug
report probably boils down to "do something else long enough for the
sink to be suspended".