[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio over network

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jun 9 06:34:18 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 15:17 +0200, jeroen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been building an openwrt router (TL-WR1043ND) to connect my laptop
> to my stereo. The router uses USB audio running pulseausio 1.1.
> When I play a song using "paplay -s 192.168.0.44 debaser.wav" it plays
> fine without stuttering. Also "PULSE_SERVER=192.168.0.44 paplay
> debaser.wav" works.
> But if I set the default sink to use the pulseaudio on the router it
> stutters. What is the difference beteen the different methods? Seems it
> should be possible using the default sink with the right configuration
> but I can't seem to find how.

The difference is that in the cases that work, you connect paplay
directly to the remote pulseaudio server. In the stuttering case you
connect to the local pulseaudio, and use the tunnel sink. For some
reason tunnel sinks are more suspectible to stuttering than direct
connections - it has been that way for a while, but nobody has really
investigated what the reason is.