[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] Using UCM with PulseAudio

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 09:28:21 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 07:01 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:30 +0800, Feng Wei wrote:
> > 2012/6/20 Arun Raghavan <arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk>:
> > > Liam,
> > > Thanks for clearing things up.
> > >
> > > On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 18:08 +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Just as an observation, I think the Android HAL just uses PCM 0 and not
> > > the PCM 3, but in the PA case, I'll do it the way you describe since
> > > that makes more sense.

> > > Okay, so what this means is that we need to extend the current UCM work
> > > to create a second, lower priority sink for each modifier that has a
> > > distinct PlaybackPCM, and let the role-based routing pick that in cases
> > > where it makes sense. It's good that this doesn't change how we've
> > > mapped existing concepts -- just adds to it.
> > Sounds fine to me. The only problem is can we always open the modifier
> > pcm when modifier is not enabled. If not, I prefer to create/destroy
> > the sink by events.
>
> The alternative is to always add the sink and enable/disable the
> modifier in the I/O thread since we will get a message when a sink-input
> is added/removed. I'm just hacking this bit up, and will post patches if
> it all works out.
>
> There is another question here -- whether the modifier sink should have
> any ports or not. If I understand this correctly, we could let the
> actual routing be handled by the "main" sink's port and have the
> modifier sinks not touch that at all by not having any ports. In the
> ideal world though, it would be nice to have the ability to mark ports
> as being "dependent" somehow, so that port changes on the main sink
> would reflect in all others. This would be particularly useful for sinks
> and sources that have correlated paths like they do in the OMAP4 case.

Seems things a bit more complicated. There's a PlaybackChannels field on
each UCM device -- and it is possible that this might be different
between devices? If so, then it would become necessary to expose the
devices as ports on the modifier's sink as well, to make sure these
things stay in sync. Or am I interpreting things as being more
complicated than they really are?

-- Arun