[pulseaudio-discuss] USB audio adapter

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Fri Jun 15 07:02:28 PDT 2012

Hi,

if I plug in an USB audio adapter, I want  sound for all applications to
be switched from internal speakers to the USB adapter, automatically.
And if I remove the adapter, back to internal speakers.

what is the recommended way of doing this?

I noticed that pavucontrol does not see new connected USB devices,
not even after restarting it. I have to do (kubuntu 12.04, pulseaudio 1.1)

service pulseaudio reload

first, but this not only reloads configuration, it actually does a restart,
killing pulseaudio. So my application (vdr-sxfe) loses sound, and I have
to restart it too.

removing the USB audio adapter works, sort of. The sound is switched
elsewhere. But there is my 2nd problem: My notebook has a graphics
adapter with HDMI output. I want to disable this forever. But if I
do that in pavucontrol or in the KDE sound mixer, this only holds for
some time, the device always comes back and is preferrably used by
pulseaudio.

when I disable sound profiles in pavucontrol and reload/restart
pulseaudio, they are enabled again.

So how can I permanently disable a specific audio sink?

--
Wolfgang