[pulseaudio-discuss] Monitoring USB sound card using pulse monitor.

Amar Akshat amar.akshat at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 20:27:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to monitor the sound card on my machines.
I have two sound cards, out of which I am able to monitor the on-board
sound device successfully, however I am facing "device open" issues while
monitoring the USB handset I have.

*the output of aplay -l is*

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Device [Generic USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

*My /etc/asound.conf looks like this, *

pcm.pulse_monitor {
  type pulse
  device alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
}

ctl.pulse_monitor {
  type pulse
  device alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor
}

pcm.pulse_monitor1 {
  type pulse
  device
alsa_output.usb-0d8c_Generic_USB_Audio_Device-00-Device.analog-stereo.monitor
}

ctl.pulse_monitor1 {
  type pulse
  device
alsa_output.usb-0d8c_Generic_USB_Audio_Device-00-Device.analog-stereo.monitor
}

Now when I play a music on my on-board sound device (HDA Intel), and execute

*arecord -Dpulse_monitor -c2 -fS32_LE /dev/null -vvv*

I am able to monitor.

However, when I monitor and do the following,
*arecord -Dpulse_monitor1 -c2 -fS32_LE /dev/null -vvv*
*
*
*&*
*
*
*aplay -Dhw:1 -c1 -fS16_LE song.wav, *

the o/p is

*aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy. *
*
*
Also I have noticed, if I play the song.wav first and then do the
monitoring, it still doesn't work, until song.wav is finished. I have tried
to do this on multiple machines, with no avail.

--

Thank you...

*Amar Akshat (アマール)*

 *"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy
if both are frozen."*