[pulseaudio-discuss] My Blog URL for GSoC 2012

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 3 09:10:59 PDT 2012

Hi Deng,

'Twas brillig, and rong deng at 01/05/12 15:37 did gyre and gimble:
> I've setup one blog space here: http://pulseaudio.blog.com and later
> I'll use this blog to publish my status report and my current work.
> Please help add this url into pulseaudio's planet.
>
> As long as it's added to pulseaudio's planet, the blog's content would
> automatically be sent to this mailing list, right?

Nothing (presently happens regarding he mailing list when the planet is
updated, but I think that would be a reasonable feature to add
(notifications to the ML) so I'll add that to my list.

As for the blog itself, it would probably be better if you were to
create an account that was for you, rather than pulseaudio. The reason
for this suggestion is that while we would love it if you only ever
contributed to PulseAudio and ignored all other projects, the reality is
that you will hopefully, over time, become a great contributor to many
open source projects. Each of these projects will likely call for you
documenting your work in a blog post of sorts. Therefore if your blog is
for you, your are more likely to use it for a long time (obviously
nothing is for ever and you may end up abandoning your blog eventually,
but by making it about you, the odds are reduced somewhat!)

When you post content, most blog systems will allow you to tag or
categorise your posts. What we'll do with the Planet is to add a "topic
specific" feed (i.e. only grab the feeds that match a specific tag or
category). What I do on my own blog is tag articles relevant to PA as
"pulseaudio" and then only include those in the Planet.

So if you could do that it would be great. If you want to use the one
you've already setup despite the suggestions above, that's also fine.
Just thought I'd explain the thinking a bit and give you a choice.

Regardless of which you choose, please write a small introductory
article first so that when I add it to the Planet there is some real
content to grab (unlike the current "Hello World" article you have :)).

All the best and I look forward to working with you :)

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/