[pulseaudio-discuss] Android and latency questions

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Sat May 5 22:11:10 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 12:22 -0400, Dave Horoschak wrote:
[...]
> Right now I have a Motorola Droid 3, but I'm willing to purchase new
> hardware for my testing.  For right now all I care about is playback
> and the lowest latency possible and maintaining audio quality.  Other
> Android features will not be needed.
>

> I also have easy access to some TI-based reference designs using the
> OMAP3630 if you think that would be a viable option.

The fastest way for you to try this out is likely between any two
machines running PulseAudio. If things work well enough, say, between
the machine you intend to stream from and Linux on your OMAP3 device,
then it should just work when you swap it with an Android device running
PulseAudio. The only variables are then audio latency, which at least on
the Galaxy Nexus shouldn't be too high (I've got it set to 40ms by
default, but it can go lower), and quality of the wifi stack)

[...]
> I'll have complete control over a managed WiFi network, so once I'm
> streaming I can start playing around with the network config.
>

> Incidentally, can I stream from one source to multiple client devices,
> or is the connection strictly 1-to-1?

It's currently one to one. Possibly the RTP module can be extended to do
multicast.

-- Arun