[pulseaudio-discuss] Android and latency questions

Dave Horoschak dave at horoschak.net
Fri May 4 09:22:23 PDT 2012

> > I'd like to use PulseAudio to stream high-quality, low-latency
> > (50-100ms) audio from a PC to an Android device over a managed
> > wireless network.  I have the server running on the PC, but am having
> > trouble on the Android side.  I'm not an Android developer so I don't
> > have the ability or knowledge to re-build the kernel, make custom
> > configurations or anything like that.  Is there any other way that I
> > can get PulseAudio on a device for testing and experimentation with
> > the rest of my system?
>
> What device is your Android system running on? If you care only about
> playback (and don't mind other stuff being completely broken), and are
> using a Galaxy Nexus (both *big* ifs, of course), I could provide an
> image for you to try.

Right now I have a Motorola Droid 3, but I'm willing to purchase new
hardware for my testing.  For right now all I care about is playback and
the lowest latency possible and maintaining audio quality.  Other Android
features will not be needed.

I also have easy access to some TI-based reference designs using the
OMAP3630 if you think that would be a viable option.

> > Related to this project, has anyone measured or estimated what the
> > lowest end-to-end latency of this system could be, assuming all parts
> > are optimized at both end of the signal chain?
>
> Assuming decent ALSA drivers on your target device, the main variable
> here is the wireless network. In the ideal world, our RTP modules would
> receive more love and work better, making things more robust. I know
> there are periodic glitches over the TCP tunnel, and haven't had time to
> try to pin them down, but your mileage may vary.

I'll have complete control over a managed WiFi network, so once I'm
streaming I can start playing around with the network config.

Incidentally, can I stream from one source to multiple client devices, or
is the connection strictly 1-to-1?

Thanks.
 - Dave