[pulseaudio-discuss] Adjust volume may cause audio playback corruption

cee1 fykcee1 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 00:16:19 PDT 2012

Hi all,

We're using PA on our product, and sometimes audio playback may
corrupt after adjusting volume.

We found a way to (relatively) easily reproduce the problem:
1. Play sample.mp3 through totem in repeat mode.
2. In gnome-volume-control, Hardware tap, repeat to shift between "Off
profile" and "Analog Stereo Duplex profile".

When the problem happens, the corruption continues until I:
* Do one more shift between "Off profile" and "Analog Stereo Duplex profile".
* Close totem (close all PA playback clients).
* Adjust volume.

When the problem happens, open another PA client doing audio playback,
is also corrupt.

Some additional information:
* Output of alsa-info.sh on our product:
http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/alsa-info-lemote
* PA daemon log:
http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/pulseaudio.log
* The corrupted sound:
http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/corrupted_sound.ogg
* The sample mp3: http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/sample.mp3

We've tried PA 1.0-0ubuntu3, 1.1-0ubuntu15 and 2.0, the problem continues.

The problem can also be reproduced on an AMD turion 64 x2 board with
ubuntu 10.10 and ubuntu 12.04:
* Output of alsa-info:
  ubuntu 10.10(32bit)
http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/alsa-info-ubuntu-10.10
  ubuntu 12.04(32bit)
http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/alsa-info-ubuntu-12.04

Note:
* The AMD turion 64 x2 board uses the same chipset as our product.
* gnome-volume-control is removed in ubuntu 12.04, thus we compiled
it: http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/PA-apc/gnome-volume-control

Any idea?

--
Regards,