[pulseaudio-discuss] Streaming between two WinXP machines

Dave Horoschak dave at horoschak.net
Mon May 14 20:32:16 PDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 12:17 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> It sounds like you want to stream the microphone audio from one machine
> to the speakers of another machine. Does module-waveout also provide a
> source? "waveout" sounds like it's only for output, but I don't know for
> sure.
>
> Assuming that module-waveout actually provides a source, you should load
> module-tunnel-source on the speaker machine and point it to the
> microphone machine. Now you have a proxy source on the speaker machine,
> and the remaining task is to get the audio from the proxy source to the
> local sink. That can be done by loading module-loopback on the speaker
> machine.

Now we're making some progress, but I'm still not successful.  I can
confirm that module-waveout supplies both a sink and a source.  FWIW,
the source is named wave_input.

I have my two config files setup as follows:

Speaker machine:
load-module module-waveout
load-module module-tunnel-source server-172.18.1.45 source=wave_input
load-module module-loopback

Microphone machine:
load-module module-waveout
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=172.18.1.0/24
auth-anonymous=1

I run pulseaudio on both machines.

The speaker machine immediately gives me "modules/module-tunnel.c:
stream died" regardless of whether or not the microphone machine has PA
running.

The microphone machine seems to come up working properly, indicating No
Error on socket-server.  However, as soon as I start PA on the speaker
machine, the microphone machine gives me "pulsecore/protocol-native.c:
protocol error, kicking client" and exits.

Since I haven't defined any protocols, I'm not sure where the error
comes into play.  Do you have any idea what could be going on?

Incidentally, there's no pacmd for Win like there is for Linux.  Is
there another way to get to the CLI?

Thanks for your help.
  - Dave