[pulseaudio-discuss] How to modify (source) port priorities?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 6 22:49:08 PST 2012

On 11/07/2012 04:51 AM, Ronan Jouchet wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm using PulseAudio on a laptop, and there's a long-time annoyance I'm
> unable to solve with Google's help, could you help me?
>
> In the "Input" tab of my "Sound" GNOME system panel, the "Connector"
> keeps being changed from "Microphone" to "Internal Microphone" at each
> restart (I'd like the contrary: "Internal Microphone" is awfully noisy,
> and "Microphone" works fine). I can see why in pacmd-list-sources:
>      {analog-input-microphone-internal: *Internal Microphone* (*priority
> 8900*, available: unknown)}
>      ... versus ...
>      {analog-input-microphone: *Microphone* (*priority 8700*, available:
> no)}
>
> --> How can I modify the priorities so that "Microphone" gets
> automatically a higher priority than "Input Microphone"?

Modify the files in
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-*.conf

> --> Should I just fix that locally with your help, or should I file a bug?

My guess is that for the casual user, the Internal Mic is probably the
more common to use. So probably the current setting is correct, although
I haven't done any thorough research on the matter :-)

That said, it should autoswitch on most computers by now.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic