[pulseaudio-discuss] FW: Linking Channels Block Mono Microphone

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Thu Oct 25 03:32:41 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: John Frankish
Sent: Monday, 22 October, 2012 11:38
To: General PulseAudio Discussion
Cc: 'David Henningsson'
Subject: RE: [pulseaudio-discuss] Linking Channels Block Mono Microphone

> > On 10/22/2012 08:50 AM, John Frankish wrote:
> > Using pulseaudio-2.1 with a dell latitude e6220 and the internal mono microphone:
> >
> > The pavucontrol "configuration" tab correctly shows the internal microphone as mono.
> >
> > The pavucontrol "input" tab incorrectly assumes the internal
> > microphone is stereo and any input is blocked until the "link channels" icon is clicked in order to unlink the channels.
> >
> >  From google I can see that several people have seen the same problem, but I don't see a solution/bug fix anywhere.
> >
> > Is there some way to add/edit/modify a configuration file to avoid
> > having to remember to unlink the microphone channels every time?
>
> We do this through a kernel patch usually. Can you submit alsa-info
> (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo )?

Thanks for the reply, please see:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=de69a107ac63f0a3629cd16fe9b89d23ccef5888
---------

I upgraded to pulseaudio-2.1 and tried on another machine and the result is the same.

Furthermore, looking in the "input devices" tab (see attached screenshot):

1. The usb headset microphone is correctly shown as a mono microphone, but the input level strip is missing.

2. The internal sound card microphone input level strip is present.

Looking at the "recording" tab (see attached screenshot):

1. The usb headset microphone is incorrectly shown as a stereo microphone

2. The input level strip is missing.

3. Even if I unlink the stereo channel lock, the input is not recorded.

4. If I swap to the internal sound card microphone, the input level strip reappears.

The Logitech usb headset must be a pretty common device, but its use appears broken as far as pulseaudio-2.0/2.1 are concerned?