[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio Mini-Conference: Call for topics

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 22:13:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 16:03 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> Ok, I'll start with some topics I would like to have discussed and/or
> decided upon at our conference.

David and Tanu have covered most of what I had in mind, but there's a
couple more from me:

  * User experience

We've come a long way from in terms of being invisible to users (as we
should be), but I still see a large number of people facing
difficulties, often in "standard bugs". This includes programs grabbing
the ALSA device, tsched=0 fixes, port switching, running mpd, and
probably others that I can't remember.

What I'd like to discuss is ways for us to deal with these sort of
problems and help solve them quickly. My current thinking is some sort
of program/script to help people quickly pin point problems and find
solutions. This is really matter of automating the standard diagnostics
we ask for on IRC, and documenting the standard solutions. (David
pointed me to Ubuntu's diagnostic tool, which is a good starting point)

Perhaps others have better ideas to deal with this.

  * Testing

I would like to see us adding more tests -- the amount of code/features
that we add is much much larger that corresponding tests. Part of the
problem is that there is still missing infrastructure to make this easy
enough (we don't have an automated way to test that playback actually
works, for example). Deng's work during the GSoC should make a lot of
things a lot easier, so this would likely just be a small discussion
about what kind of extensions we need, and maybe finding some way to tie
that up into a CI system if possible.

Cheers, and looking forward to seeing you there this week!
Arun