[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio Mini-Conference: Call for topics

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 30 10:58:08 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Arun Raghavan at 29/10/12 05:13 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 16:03 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>> Ok, I'll start with some topics I would like to have discussed and/or
>> decided upon at our conference.
>
> David and Tanu have covered most of what I had in mind, but there's a
> couple more from me:
>
>   * User experience
>
> We've come a long way from in terms of being invisible to users (as we
> should be), but I still see a large number of people facing
> difficulties, often in "standard bugs". This includes programs grabbing
> the ALSA device, tsched=0 fixes, port switching, running mpd, and
> probably others that I can't remember.
>
> What I'd like to discuss is ways for us to deal with these sort of
> problems and help solve them quickly. My current thinking is some sort
> of program/script to help people quickly pin point problems and find
> solutions. This is really matter of automating the standard diagnostics
> we ask for on IRC, and documenting the standard solutions. (David
> pointed me to Ubuntu's diagnostic tool, which is a good starting point)
>
> Perhaps others have better ideas to deal with this.
>
>   * Testing
>
> I would like to see us adding more tests -- the amount of code/features
> that we add is much much larger that corresponding tests. Part of the
> problem is that there is still missing infrastructure to make this easy
> enough (we don't have an automated way to test that playback actually
> works, for example). Deng's work during the GSoC should make a lot of
> things a lot easier, so this would likely just be a small discussion
> about what kind of extensions we need, and maybe finding some way to tie
> that up into a CI system if possible.
>
> Cheers, and looking forward to seeing you there this week!

I had a few discussion points noted down in a file I've been keeping for
the last few weeks:

 * System-Wide audio support (Tanu already mentioned)
 * Unified ALSA config xdistro
 * Base Volume options
 * Priority Lists
 * Flash (specifically Recording)
 * 2.1 Profiles

Trivial:
 * Remove HAL?, Planning for a major bump?
 * Disable esound by default

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/