[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 31 09:08:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, October 31, 2012 11:26 pm, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 20:59 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on why the following is happening?
>>
>> Using Debian wheezy on an intel board with built in HDA chipset.
>> (Notebook
>> sound card)
>>
>> I was unable to start jack. It seemed like the problem might have been
>> because pulse was running so I killed pulse with "pulseaudio -k". That
>> didn't help.
>
> If you need to keep pulseaudio not running, put "autospawn = no" to
> ~/.pulse/client.conf. Then "pulseaudio -k" actually has the effect that
> you expect it to have...
>
>> I installed pulseaudio-module-jack and configured
>> /etc/pulse/default.pa to include
>>
>> load-module module-jack-sink
>> load-module module-jack-source
>
> Could you undo all these modifications so that the problem can be
> debugged on a "normal" system?

I have removed those two entries in the /etc/pulse/default.pa

3: The current situation is that I cannot run jackd (jack2 -1.9.9) with
"dbus enabled" in qjackctl misc settings window because I get an error :

++++
Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Method "RequestRelease"
with signature "i" on interface "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1" doesn't
exist
Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired..
++++

2: I get the same error if I run it from the command line:

jackd -d alsa -d hw:0

3: If I try to use jackdbus instead of jackd I get this message instead:

++++
jackdbus should be auto-executed by D-Bus message bus daemon.
If you want to run it manually anyway, specify "auto" as only parameter
++++

4: I can run jackd with hw:1 with no problems

5: I can run jackd with hw:0 if I kill pulse and run it as superuser with
"pulseaudio --system -D"

6: Here's the output of  "pactl list modules short" as Richard suggested:

++++
$ pactl list modules short
0	module-device-restore
1	module-stream-restore
2	module-card-restore
3	module-augment-properties
4	module-alsa-card	device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0"
card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes
fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes
card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1"
5	module-udev-detect
6	module-jackdbus-detect
7	module-native-protocol-unix
8	module-default-device-restore
9	module-rescue-streams
10	module-always-sink
11	module-intended-roles
12	module-suspend-on-idle
13	module-console-kit
14	module-systemd-login
15	module-position-event-sounds
16	module-role-cork
17	module-filter-heuristics
18	module-filter-apply
19	module-dbus-protocol
20	module-switch-on-port-available
21	module-x11-publish	display=:0
22	module-x11-cork-request	display=:0
23	module-x11-xsmp	display=:0
session_manager=local/xxxx:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/3709,unix/whare:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3709
24	module-alsa-card	device_id="1"
name="usb-Yealink_Network_Technology_Ltd._VOIP_USB_Phone-00-Phone"
card_name="alsa_card.usb-Yealink_Network_Technology_Ltd._VOIP_USB_Phone-00-Phone"

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd