[pulseaudio-discuss] flushing dynamically loaded modules

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Sep 20 11:43:23 PDT 2012

Please keep the mailing list in the recipients.

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 18:57 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> > How do you load the jack modules? There's certainly no tmp file storing
> > the jack module configuration, so if you have loaded them just with
> > pactl, restarting pulseaudio will clear the configuration.
>
> I'm loading them from a shell script when starting the app that uses jackd after
> starting jackd.
> Strange that killing pulse and restarting is clearing them, I'll did further
> and see if I can find out why.

What's strange about that? I said that restarting pulseaudio clears the
configuration, and now you think that it's somehow strange that it
happens?

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 19:13 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:35:39 +0300
> Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > How is that a problem? I mean, I know that it's a bit cumbersome to dig
> > out the indexes with "pactl list modules" (the next pulseaudio release
> > will support giving module name instead of index, yay!), but from your
> > description I don't get why requiring an index would prevent you from
> > unloading the modules.
>
> Quick question Tanu
>
> is the index number of the module always the same ?
> ie jack sink and source 31 & 32 ???
>
> or are they dynamic, changing each time pulse is started, they seem fixed, but
> I'm not sure.

They are dynamic, so don't trust them staying the same. The indexes are
assigned sequentically in the order the modules are loaded.

> thanks, sorry to be a pest

No problem at all :)