[pulseaudio-discuss] [PATCH 0/3] Fix muted headphones in guest account
david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Apr 16 07:44:05 PDT 2013
Don't worry about this being a three patch series, because the
first two patches are really small.
This is a fix for a long term issue: that if you log in to a guest account
(or new account) with your headphones plugged in, your headphones will be
muted by default.
This is the current chain of events:
1) User plugs in headphones, which mutes the "Speaker" alsamixer control.
2) User switches to guest account.
3) Guest's PulseAudio starts up and detects the card.
4) When the sink is loaded, there is no port or volume stored in the database.
Therefore the highest port is selected (analog-output-speaker), and the
volume is read from ALSA
5) PulseAudio assumes sink is muted, because "Speaker" was muted.
6) Later, module-switch-on-port-available is loaded and selects analog-output-headphones,
because analog-output-speaker is unavailable.
7) Headphones are now muted as there is nothing stored in the database for headphones either.
The patch series fixes this by making sure that module-switch-on-port-available,
as well as the available status for ports, are both present when the sink is created.
Therefore the correct port is selected from the beginning.
I consider this a fix rather than a new feature, so I think this should go into 4.0.
David Henningsson (3):
default.pa: Load switch-on-port-available before udev-detect
alsa: Initialize ports before sinks/sources
module-switch-on-port-available: Handle hotplugged cards
src/daemon/default.pa.in | 4 +-
src/modules/alsa/module-alsa-card.c | 2 +-
src/modules/module-switch-on-port-available.c | 69 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--
3 files changed, 67 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)
More information about the pulseaudio-discuss