[pulseaudio-discuss] Unload echo-cancel devices

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Apr 17 10:23:20 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-12 at 10:07 +0300, Lazar Doru wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:32:49 +0530
> Arun Raghavan <arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > [..]
> >
> > You should just be setting the filter.want property to 'echo-cancel'
> > and let PulseAudio manage loading the canceller where appropriate.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arun
> >

> Thanks for your answer. I am doing just that (upon stream creation I am
> setting the filter.want and media.role properties) and PulseAudio
> successfully creates the echo-canceled streams. But my concern is that
> the echo-canceled devices that were created are not destroyed when I
> close my streams. That means that when I restart my application and
> enumerate the devices the echo-canceled devices are still present. My
> question was: can I manually remove those devices before I close my
> application?

You shouldn't unload modules that you didn't load yourself. It's not
necessarily a problem if the echo-cancel module hangs around after your
application has closed its streams, because the echo-cancel module
doesn't consume much resources while it's not being used. A problem
would be if the echo-cancel modules would be leaked, that is, a new
echo-cancel module would be loaded for each stream that you create
without unloading unused modules, but I guess that's not happening?