[pulseaudio-discuss] RCF: Public API for managing nodes

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 5 10:56:56 PDT 2013

On 7/13/13 10:48 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've written up a proposal for a public API for controlling routing with
> nodes:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/RFC/RoutingAPI/
>
> Comments would be very welcome.

Thanks Tanu.
Can you clarify the differences between nodes and existing
sink/sink_input/source/source_output structures? seems to me that
'nodes' could also mean a change in audio profiles, eg the headset is
really an audio codec attribute and routing to the headset isn't
necessarily a change of routing within PulseAudio.
There are also cases where an output cannot be used because of the setup
of another output, eg when it's physically muxed with something else or
it depends on a clock defined elsewhere. How are physical constraints
reported to the user?
-Pierre