[pulseaudio-discuss] xrdp pulse sink

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 9 07:12:45 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 14:26 -0700, Jay Sorg wrote:
> >>  - the xrdp server will call something like "pacmd load-module
> >> module-xrdp-sink format=x rate=y" and thereby sets up the connection between
> >> PulseAudio and xrdp.
> >
> > Yup, well, I was editing the default.pa file but that looks like a
> > better way to set the sink :)
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> So I tried this approach and it works and sets the sink properly.
> The problem is that after a while of no PA activity, the PA daemon
> exits.  At least on Ubuntu 12.04.
> Then later, when something plays sound, it starts again but I have no
> way to know this event so I can call pacmd again.
>
> Is this normal behavior?  If I keep one open connection to the PA
> server, will it still exit?

It's not "normal" in the sense that PulseAudio doesn't spontaneously
exit with most Ubuntu users. The behaviour might be expected in your
case, though, but I'm not sure because I don't know your environment.
Normally module-console-kit (on Ubuntu) keeps PulseAudio from exiting
during the login session.

If you keep a client connected to PulseAudio, then auto-exiting
shouldn't happen.