[pulseaudio-discuss] Routing audio from one sound card to another

Daniel windseeker at gmx.de
Tue Dec 3 07:01:10 PST 2013

Hello Jay,

yes, this is possible with pulseaudio. You can do this with manual commands
on the terminal. If you are satisfied you also can put this into your
configuration files so it's always activated at login.

First you need a list of sinks (pulseaudio outputs).

For me it looks this way (for you it may suffer from line breaks in emails):

# pactl list sinks short
0       alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo      module-alsa-card.c
     s16le 2ch 44100Hz       RUNNING
1       alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo        module-alsa-card.c
     s16le 2ch 44100Hz       IDLE

it's listing all alsa sinks and so it shows my analog output and the HDMI
one. Assuming I want to have simultaneous output on both, I will load a
pulseaudio module named "module-combine-sink" using these options:

pactl load-module module-combine-sink
slaves=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo,alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo

(all one line, in case it breaks for you)

Now I can start playing in any application, and then I open pavucontrol.
There under "Playback" you can choose for any stream to which sink it is
routed. Here you can choose the new simultaneous sink you just created. And
immediately the audio will be sent to both alsa outputs.