[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing audion on TV through HDMI cable with mplayer

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 17:30:01 PST 2013

I made some more progress.  I ran start-pulseaudio-x11 as a regular user, then
when I ran pavucontrol as root, it displayed the pavucontrol tabs correctly.  But
I still can not play audio on the TV through the HDMI cable.

In the Configuration tab, it's obvious which card is the HDMI output.  But
there is nothing to select in that tab.  I then went to the Output tab and
pressed the green "set as fallback" button. However, when I play a video file
with mplayer, no sound occurs.  However, there is a 'sound level' bar, or
something like that on the Output tab.  When I play a video file with mplayer,
that sound level bar moves as if audio was actually playing.  Only everything
is silent.

The same things happens if I play a .wav file with pacat.  I hear sound on the PC
speakers if I select the non-HDMI device in the Output tab.  But no sound anywhere
if I select the HDMI device in the Output tabs.