[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing audion on TV through HDMI cable with mplayer

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 05:36:09 PST 2013

>I am not sure what you mean. When people say "nothing to select",

>sometimes they mean "empty menu with no text at all", and sometimes
>"only one item, already selected, nothing else to try".

Okay.  In pavucontrol, the Configuration tab lists both the HDMI
and the Internal Audio.  But as far as I can tell, it merely lists them.
I don't need to click on anything in that tab, right?

>It would help if you post the output of the following command:
>
>pacmd ls

Are you sure?  That comand lists 23 modules and the output is more
than 700 lines.

>1. cat /proc/asound/cards

I did this.  My output was very similar to your output.

> 2. aplay -L

I did this and the output was very similar to yours.

> speaker-test -l2 -c2 -D front:CARD=MID,DEV=0

It produced the hissing sound through the analog speakers.

>speaker-test -l2 -c2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

This worked and produced the hissing sound through the TV
speakers.  I used DEV=1.

Thanks very much for you help.  I hope we are getting close to the
solution for this.