[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing audion on TV through HDMI cable with mplayer

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:11:26 PST 2013

James Board wrote:
> >I am not sure what you mean. When people say "nothing to select",
> >sometimes they mean "empty menu with no text at all", and sometimes
> >"only one item, already selected, nothing else to try".
>
> Okay.  In pavucontrol, the Configuration tab lists both the HDMI
> and the Internal Audio.  But as far as I can tell, it merely lists them.
> I don't need to click on anything in that tab, right?

You do.

You need to select the correct profile. On my office computer, it lists
the "Off" profile, 4 HDMI Stereo profiles and 4 HDMI 5.1 profiles.

> >speaker-test -l2 -c2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>
> This worked and produced the hissing sound through the TV
> speakers.  I used DEV=1.

So, you need to select the second of the identically-named "Digital
Stereo (HDMI) Output" profiles. The default is the first one which sends
sound to DEV=0, i.e. through another internal HDMI or DVI connector,
i.e. into nowhere.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov