[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing audion on TV through HDMI cable with mplayer

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 07:16:41 PST 2013

>> Okay.  In pavucontrol, the Configuration tab lists both the HDMI

>> and the Internal Audio.  But as far as I can tell, it merely lists them.
>> I don't need to click on anything in that tab, right?
>
>You do.
>
>You need to select the correct profile. On my office computer, it lists
>the "Off" profile, 4 HDMI Stereo profiles and 4 HDMI 5.1 profiles.

I see.  Okay for the Analog card, there are many choices.  For the HDMI
card, there are only two choices: HDMI and off.  Pavucontrol->Configuration
doesn't list that many choices for the HDMI card.

>> >speaker-test -l2 -c2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>>
>> This worked and produced the hissing sound through the TV
>> speakers.  I used DEV=1.>
>So, you need to select the second of the identically-named "Digital
>Stereo (HDMI) Output" profiles. The default is the first one which sends
>sound to DEV=0, i.e. through another internal HDMI or DVI connector,
>i.e. into nowhere.

Select from which tab?  Pavucontrol->Configuration?  I don't have
many choices from that tab.

Also, I am running pavucontrol as root, which you told me not to do.  When I run
pavucontrol as non-root, it immediately core dumps.