[pulseaudio-discuss] Stream sound over network

Daniel windseeker at gmx.de
Tue Dec 24 05:20:00 PST 2013

Can you plese tell more about the use case? I guess it's not about having
realtime sound effect from games or user interfaces, but more like playing
music from Laptop to Android?

If that's the case, I have such a setup running. I start a null-sink where
any application can send its audio to, then use darkice to grab it from
null-sinks monitor and send it to an icecast running on localhost. Any
other player (an MPD server, an Android with TuneIn App or anything else)
can grab it from there and play it. I even use this to listen to my own
musik on my smartphone while I am in my Work WiFi. For that I stream AAC+
codec for extra low bandwidth.

Of course latency is beyond good and evil, expect 5 to 8 seconds, depending
on the buffer of your player and such.

And there is an ugly bug in pulseaudio, so if you change the volume of the
null sink or if you skip songs in your player, the stream is rewinded, and
the bug causes it to have real bad hiccups then. I already reported this
bug here, but sadly nobody could help identifying the cause.

Best regards,
Daniel