[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound from second device

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Feb 27 06:47:53 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 19:05 +0100, Fabio Venturi wrote:
> Sorry, but in the previous mail I didn't express myself clearly:
> running the parecord command it creates a file of 44bytes
>
> parecord -d alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1d.7-usb-0_6.analog-stereo
> --file-format=wav test.wav
> [fabio at dell ~]$ file test.wav
> test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16
> bit, stereo 44100 Hz
> [fabio at dell ~]$ strings test.wav
> RIFF$
> WAVEfmt
> data

44 bytes is the size of the wav header, so parecord gets no data at all
from pulseaudio. Does plain alsa work either? Try

        pasuspender -- arecord -Dplughw:1,0 -f dat > test.wav

If that doesn't work either, then it's definitely not a pulseaudio
problem. If it works, however, then there's some problem related to how
pulseaudio uses the device. I don't have any ideas what that might be,
perhaps the pulseaudio log would have some clues. Instructions for
getting the log are here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log