[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound from second device

Fabio Venturi dalamenona at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:05:22 PST 2013

Thank you for the reply and sorry for my delay, I just missed you email.
This is the output of amixer -c1 :

[fabio at dell ~]$ amixer -c1
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 29 [94%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 0 [0%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line In',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 28 [90%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Microphone',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'AUX',0
  Capabilities: volume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Front Left: 31 [100%] Playback [off]
  Front Right: 31 [100%] Playback [off]

Sorry, but in the previous mail I didn't express myself clearly:
running the parecord command it creates a file of 44bytes

parecord -d alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1d.7-usb-0_6.analog-stereo
--file-format=wav test.wav
[fabio at dell ~]$ file test.wav
test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16
bit, stereo 44100 Hz
[fabio at dell ~]$ strings test.wav
RIFF$
WAVEfmt
data

I've tried to route the sound from the USB TV source to the Internal
sink with the loopback module
with no luck:

pactl load-module module-loopback
source="alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1d.7-usb-0_6.analog-stereo"
sink="alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo"

Thank you for any hint,

- Fabio