[pulseaudio-discuss] Handling JACK driver switching

Nathan Hulse nat.hulse at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 28 09:40:06 PST 2013

On 28 January 2013 15:53, Peter Nelson <peter at fuzzle.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 14:27 +0000, Nathan Hulse wrote:
>
> > Yes, sorry about that. One could also say that it is not PA's
> > responsibility to map connections to JACK at all, and yet it does. It
> would
> > actually be cool if module-jackdbus-detect were fired again after loss of
> > the connections to JACK, in order to detect potential JACK backend
> changes
> > and remap again, although I know it only works on a one-shot basis at
> > present.
>
> But pulseaudio isn't losing its connection to JACK, it is the ports is
> it connected to that disappear and come back. pulseaudio should not try
> to maintain knowledge of these connections as the user can change them
> at will to all sorts of other apps. Keeping track of that is delving
> into patchbay-territory.

The purpose of module-jackdbus-autodetect is automated patching: We're
already into patchbay territory, so you're arguing after-the-fact here. In
actuality, one could say you're arguing against delving further, but this
seems pointless to me. module-jackdubs-autodetect appears to exist for the
puropose of desktop integration; if it is to detect ports and automatically
map connections at startup, why should it not also keep track?

I'm not saying that the module is deficient because it doesn't track
changes, only that it'd be nice if it did, should David wish to work on it
further. Its certainly a corner-case, afterall. In my position, yes, the
problem is not PulseAudio at all: That JACK still, after all this time,
cannot handle suspend/resume is obviously not an issue for PA to solve.
Furthermore, I only use a stereo pair and the FFADO driver forces to
presentation of of every channel available in hardware, to which
module-jackdbus-autodetect then automagically maps. I'm still learning
here, but I've come to relaise that I really should be scripting the
patching entirely and not using module-jackdbus-autodetect!