[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Audio 4.0 gets killed by 300 Hz tone...never recovers

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Tue Jun 25 07:04:13 PDT 2013

The Speex sample rate converter has problems it appears and consumes and
inordinate amount of CPU upwards of 57% when converting from 44.1 to 48 and
it still sounds bad.  Even with the Audacity generated 300Hz tone at 44.1
the quality does not improve.  If I suspend PulseAudio 4.0 and play with
straight ALSA, all of the problematic wave files at 44.1 play beautifully
with little burden on the CPU.  I have tried the 'tsched=0' recommendation
on the udev module load line and still get the same poor quality.  I use
PulseAudio primarily for echo cancellation during video conferencing for
which it performs beautifully.  Is there a way to bypass the
mixing/resampling in PulseAudio and let ALSA perform these functions?

--
Rob Krakora
MessageNet Systems